Monday, December 22, 2008
Buzzwords of 2008: Frugalista? Recessionista? Skadoosh!
This is from Grant Barrett, a lexicographer specializing in slang and new words. Some of my favorite lexical items he defines are:
1) Recessionista: Originally, someone who favored a recession as ultimately good for the economy. Now, a person who stays fashionable during an economic downturn without spending a lot of money.
2) Plutoid: A new term designated by the International Astronomical Union to refer to Pluto and space objects like it, which are something less than planets.
3) Maverick: A person who is beholden to no one. Widely used by the Republican presidential and vice-presidential candidates, John McCain and Sarah Palin. Also in the adjectival form mavericky, used by Tina Fey portraying Governor Palin on “ Saturday Night Live.”
4) Gas-sipper: The opposite of gas-guzzler. Though more than 30 years old, the term took on new significance as gasoline prices rose to record highs.
5) Frugalista: A person who is frugal but fashionable.
Excellent piece. Read more here.