Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Tropic Thunder: Above Average
Tropic Thunder is worth a watch. I wouldn't use the kinds of superlatives some reviewers have used so far but I will give it a more than lukewarm recommendation.
What sells the movie to some, me included, is the performance by Robert Downey Jr. But then again, I'm rarely disappointed by his work, anyway.
So, here are a few reasons to watch this Ben Stiller-penned and -directed film:
1) Tom Cruise's portrayal of a despicable Hollywood producer by the name of Les.
2) 'Alpa Chino''s repartee with Robert Downey Jr.
3) 'Sandusky''s encouraging and mobilizing words to his 'platoon.'
4) Matthew McConaughey's portrayal of a manager with, yes, conscience.
5) Jack Black's withdrawals
6) Last but not least, Tom Cruise's dance moves to Hip-Hop at the end of the film.
So, if you have already seen the superb Brideshead Revisited, go see Tropic Thunder. It is bound to produce a couple of chuckles. It could have been funnier and Jack Black could have been used more, but it's an ok attempt overall.
And here are a few memorable quotes from the film:
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am! I'm the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude!
And the conversation between Alpa Chino and Downy Jr's Kirk Lazarus:
"Alpa Chino: Maybe I just knew I had to represent...
Kirk Lazarus: Hot damn!
Alpa Chino: ...because they had one good part in there for a *black* man, and they gave it to "Crocodile Dundee"!
Kirk Lazarus: [offended] Pump your brakes kid, that man's a national treasure.
Alpa Chino: I'm sorry a dingo ate your baby!"
Speedman: I don't believe you people!
Kirk Lazarus: What do you mean, "you people?"
Alpa Chino: What do you mean, "you people?""
graph per google image